Celebrated each year, on the 27th of November, Lancashire Day was first held in 1996 and commemorates the day, in 1925, when Lancashire first sent representatives to parliament. Nowadays, particularly through the use of social media, Lancashire Day appears to get some relatively good exposure and support, and it seemed like a fairly good excuse for a Slow Food Lancashire (food related) celebration !
With no shortage of decent, local eateries to choose from in Lancashire, we decided that, recent back-to-back ‘Taste Lancashire’ award winner, La Locanda should be the place to go and a very worthy choice it was!
Although, highly acclaimed for their uncompromisingly authentic approach to Italian food, La Locanda is also recognised for its dedication to using local produce and this was tastefully respected in the specially created Lancashire Day menu. Presented as ‘Il Matrimonio Perfetto’ (the perfect marriage), each dish on the menu combined at least one Italian and one Lancashire ingredient and, if the food I tasted was anything to go by, they were certainly very happy together!
Lancashire Day Menu
The Lancashire produce/suppliers used in the dishes comprised:
- Organic raw milk – Gazegill Organics
- Lancashire vegetables – Alan Webster, Ormskirk
- Wild venison – Ian Scott, Earby
- Morecambe Bay shrimps – AO Seafood, Burnley
- Goats cheese – Capra Products, Longridge
- Chicken breast – Johnson and Swarbrick, Goosnargh
- Cod loin – AO Seafood, Burnley
- Fresh cream – Jimmy Frankland, Gisburn
- Lancashire blossom honey – Crossmoor Farm, Preston
- Citrus marmalade – Heritage Kitchen Preserves, Bacup
Needless to say, the food was absolutely delicious and with perfect service from the whole compliment of Italian staff. The dishes I enjoyed were…
- Homemade, organic raw milk ricotta, served on crostone and drizzled with EV Olive Oil
- A salad of Morecambe Bay shrimps with fresh oranges, mascarpone cheese mousse and Sicilian sea salt
- Cod loin with clams, potatoes and Lazio saffron
- Homemade Petra – flour fritters with citrus marmalade
- Homemade chocolate truffles
Although, as I’ve mentioned, this was a menu that La Locanda had created specially for Lancashire Day, you’ll always find lots of fabulous Lancashire produce featured on their menus and I highly recommend that you pay them a visit soon.
La Locanda, Main Street, Gisburn, Lancashire BB7 4HH – Tel: 01200 445303 – www.lalocanda.co.uk